Courant recently launched her idea of what a MagSafe compatible charger with MAG should look like: 1 Classics and Essentials. Featuring premium Italian leather or designer Belgian linen, the company is raising the bar for magnetic chargers for iPhones. Here are our thoughts after hands-on with the MAG Charger: 1 MagSafe-compatible leatherette.
Mag: 1 Classics & Basics Specs
- Mag: 1 classic in aluminum body with premium Italian leather in five finishes
- Black, Cortado, Saddle, Bone, and Ash
- MAG:1 Essentials offers a soft-touch ABS frame with Belgian linen designed in three shapes:
- Natural camel and charcoal
- Compatible with MagSafe, 7.5W wireless charging for iPhone, up to 15W Qi . wireless output
- Color-matched braided cable with USB-C, power adapter sold separately
- Handy travel bag included
- Never slip again
- Prices: $50 for MAG: 1 Essentials, $80 for MAG: 1 Classics (find a 15% off offer)
Mag: 1 classic in use
I tested the MAG:1 Classics in the saddle with an aluminum frame and matching brown cable.
As MagSafe-compatible plastic chargers have been the norm for the past couple of years, new Courant offerings have the look, feel, and potential durability of over time.
I love the Italian pebbled leather which provides a nice visual contrast, especially against the saddle, ash and cortado colors.
The back side has a non-slip rubber ring around the perimeter and here’s a closer look at the cute color-matched braided nylon cable.
Another handy touch with MAG: 1 is an included travel bag that has two interior pockets.
The Courant’s MAG:1 is definitely the best MagSafe compatible charger when it comes to materials, construction, and overall feel. However, there are two areas that I think could be improved:
- Introduce the official MagSafe compatibility for 15W iPhone wireless charging
- The MAG:1 is slightly larger than Apple or other MagSafe compatible chargers which means it doesn’t fit into MagSafe mounts – like this one from Nomad or Native Union
Courant has also launched the following product in its Magnetic range with MAG: 2 – It has a uniquely sharp design. I’ve been testing it and will be doing a review soon.
MAG: MagSafe compatible leather charger result
If you’re looking for a premium and simple way to charge your iPhone with a MagSafe compatible solution, the Courant MAG:1 is a nice choice.
As long as you’re good with the $50-$80 price tag and don’t mind skipping official MagSafe support (say, 7.5 watts charging versus 15 watts), I think you’ll be very happy with the MAG: 1. All in all, I give it a rating of 4 /5.
MAG: 1 Classics and essentials available directly from Courant.
- Premium materials – Italian leather or Belgian linen
- Color Matching USB-C Cable
- A variety of finishes to choose from
- MagSafe compatibility
- Excellent price
- There is no official MagSafe support
- Too large to fit in MagSafe mounts or docks
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: